Challenges for Consumer Product Manufacturers
Consumer product manufacturers are facing unprecedented challenges in a fast-paced and increasingly competitive environment. Intense competition in the global market is driving manufacturers to bring products to market quicker and with more cost control than ever before. Product differentiation has become increasingly important as consumer products companies are recognising that aesthetic design and new product innovations are major drivers for revenue. Transforming these great concepts from ideas to reality requires a smooth transition from design to manufacturing.
- Creating product differentiation
- Intense competition drives shorter development cycles and lower costs
- Demand for growth forces process and manufacturing efficiencies
- Building and maintaining strong brand presence and loyalty
- Product performance issues are discovered late in the product development cycle
- Communication with geographically dispersed development teams
- Disconnected processes between conceptual design, engineering, and manufacturing
Succeeding in this market requires an intense focus on eliminating inefficiencies throughout the development process from initial concept development to final manufacturing and post-sales support. Design and development teams need the ability to work together in exploring ideas early in the process and to communicate the designs with internal stakeholders and customers. To drive product differentiating through innovation, industrial designers, engineers and manufacturers must be able to work harmoniously together. This allows these multiple disciplines to communicate and collaborate throughout the development process, without recreating data to meet their needs.
The ability to design, visualise, and simulate a product from the earliest concept phase is a vital to avoiding design errors that may not appear until the physical prototyping stage. As competition intensifies regarding new product introductions, timing of product launch is just as critical as the design itself; therefore companies need to be able to create go-to-market materials in parallel with the product development process. This provides consumer product companies the opportunity to develop materials that promote customer preference and reinforce brand loyalty without creating a delay in time-to-market.
The Micro Concepts Solution
Micro Concepts Ltd is one of the leading Autodesk partners in the United Kingdom, specialising in the provision of engineering design, simulation and consultancy solutions since 1989. We are committed to offering a true value added partnership and aim to exceed customer expectations, providing the productivity and return on investment required to keep your business competitive.
The Micro Concepts team consists of professionals recruited from relevant customer industries, diverse in their specialisation covering Industrial machinery, Building Products, Aerospace and Defence to Furniture Design and Manufacture. The combined technical experience and knowledge of our engineers and product specialists exceeds 100 years. So, unlike most other companies, we are able to offer you informed solutions based on a real understanding of your business, full support and on-going training for all systems that we provide.
Autodesk software enables workgroups to create a single digital model that can be used in every stage of production, bridging the gaps that typically exist between conceptual design, engineering, and manufacturing teams. This single digital model enables the simulation of the complete product. And gives designers and engineers the ability to better design, visualise, and simulate their designs before producing a physical prototype, in turn helping projects get to market faster with greater product innovation. This approach is unique in that it is attainable, scalable, and cost effective, allowing consumer product manufacturers to realise benefits with minimal disruption to existing workflows. Digital Prototyping provides a straightforward path to creating and maintaining a single digital model in a multidisciplinary design and engineering environment.
Autodesk software addresses the needs of consumer product manufacturers by putting scalable, attainable, and cost-effective desktop technology in the hands of global engineering teams.
This software in the engineering workflow enables:
- Packaging design - Reuse of concept data to create 3D models and competitive product designs more quickly and creatively combine industrial design and detailed engineering.
- Simulation and analysis - Minimising the need for physical prototypes, let users optimise and validate design and engineering data as they work, and reduce costly engineering changes.
- Supplier collaboration - Improving collaboration between extended team members during critical design and engineering efforts, and speed reviews.
- Data management - Providing design and development teams with the tools to produce designs that are complete, accurate, approved, and released to manufacturing in a timely and effective manner.
With Autodesk Inventor software, the foundation of Autodesk product design, you can easily and quickly validate the form, fit, and function of a design under real-world conditions before it is built.
Getting products to market quickly is critical for consumer products manufacturers. With shrinking market windows and increased global competition, synchronising product design with manufacturing processes is vital in order to deliver high-quality products faster.
The tools available with Autodesk software facilitate the integration of product design with tooling, equipment, and manufacturing plant layout capabilities.
This supports the key processes of the manufacturing phase for the consumer products industry:
- Release processes - Automating the release management process by managing engineering changes and bills of materials (BOMs).
- Supply chain management - Improving communication and collaboration between extended teams to enhance productivity and reduce errors.
- Tooling - Building individual parts and sub assemblies to define complete tooling structures and verify that the product can be built.
- Production and plant layout, Combining product design and engineering data with manufacturing process information to coordinate and streamline manufacturing, production, and assembly operations.
- Data management - Managing data for a single digital model from inception through manufacturing and beyond.
Sales & Marketing
In a highly competitive market, brand loyalty is critical to profitably growing revenues. Consumer product manufacturers want consumers to connect with their products. That’s why marketing is a crucial part of the new product development process. It involves gathering input from the marketplace on what consumers want and producing high-quality promotional material for consumer products. Being able to quickly get feedback from focus groups becomes a competitive advantage for your company. And when your marketers can get early access to digital assets, they can gain time and make the new product launch process go more smoothly.
This can help you engage consumers with your new products:
- Interactive product experience - Building customer relationships and strengthening brand loyalty by taking advantage of digital models to create compelling interactive experiences for consumers.
- Focus group feedback - Using digital prototypes to quickly produce new product iterations and test consumer opinions more cost-effectively.
- Collateral development - Leveraging digital assets, even before production has started, to create a broad range of marketing collateral for new product, including brochures, advertisements, presentations, video, and online material.